31 July 2009

Updates since Tuesday - School Supplies

Today is Friday and we have a big weekend set. Saturday, we are taking the girls to a butterfly show up in Dayton. At least that is the plan. But the upside is that if one of the girl's isn't feeling well, we can split up and one stay with the girl who isn't well and one goes with the others.

Wednesday, my husband went to work and I was home with the girls. I returned books to the library. I read some, but others were being requested and I hadn't read them yet. So, they went back. I figure I can get them again and read them at that time.

Thursday, shopping day. We shop every other week for groceries. I hate shopping, but it has to be done. We went school shopping and it seems that some of the things I bought following last years list may be wrong because the schools are incapable of getting a corrected list to parents in a decent amount of time. I like to shop when there are sales so I can get good prices, but it seems the schools don't really care when the sales are they will do things when they want. The fun thing is they state that the lists are available at Walmart and Kroger, but I was at both stores and they do not have the lists. What a waste. I will send in the items I bought and say when they need something let me know, but I am not shopping again. If they really wanted these items they should have mailed the lists out mid-July to the parents, not sometime in August.

The last time I had to shop for school supplies and waited for the lists, all the sales were over and the items that had been on sale were not even available because of all the parents buying the same items. At one school they will have 15 classes with 25 - 28 students per class. That comes to 400 to 425 students in Kindergarten.
1st grade has the same quantity of students. When I went to school there were only 20 students in my grade school (1-8) class. My high school class was about 200!!! These numbers just astound me and the schools just can't get their act together and get the supply lists to us. The fun thing - I was told last year (when my oldest started Kindergarten) that I would get some of these items back. I didn't get anything back. I had to keep giving her a new folder when the old one fell apart. I don't think we should have to buy new scissors every year for our children to use at school when they keep the scissors from last year. They now have scissors for the new incoming class. Crayons, glue, markers, pencils, etc - they get used up and I really don't expect them to be sent home at the end of the year, but scissors don't get used up - they can be reused for several years. (Sorry for being on my soapbox, but I have three children all very close in age 1st grade, Kindergarten and Pre-K, and I could really use the savings).

Thursday, I also made milk shakes for the girls and my youngest promptly knocked a full cup of milkshake onto the carpet. I cleaned it up a little and planned for Friday to clean it up better by cleaning the carpets. So this morning, after taking my middle girl so they could see what she knew (she is smarter than they will ever know), I came home and had the girls pick up their messes so I could run the carpet cleaner. I then cleaned the carpet and after I spent most of the day cleaning the downstairs carpets, the girls promptly opened a bottle of bubbles and dumped it all over the floor!!!! I clean, they mess - the circle goes on.

Today, the girls also went down to a friend's house and she fed them lunch, then sent them up here, where I fed them dessert. This way we both got some no kid time. She is a good lady and I am glad that she and her children moved so close to us.

Updates on projects:
1. Socks for girls (still untouched)
2. Pink Hat - started
3. Afghan - started
4. Lavendar prayer shawl
5. Hummingbird dish cloth

No comments:

Post a Comment