07 March 2011

Darn It

Some time ago, I read something by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (aka YarnHarlot) where she said she darns socks...she drops them into the trash and says "Darn it." I loved that. So when I was trying to get my girls to start throwing away clothing with holes in it, I taught them to take the item to the trash and as loud as they can, say "Darn IT!"

As a result, they would tell me, "Mom, I have a hole in my...." I would tell them, "When we get home, darn it." They would tell me okay and depending on the article of clothing that needed darning, the "Darn Its" would be with little feeling (as in "darn it" to much feeling because it was their favorite piece of clothing, "DARN IT!!!!") I love hearing them when they are darning their clothing. It tickles my funny bone.

One time, DD told me, "Mom I have a hole in my sock." and since I had an extra pair in the car, I offered her the opportunity to darn her socks right then and there or wait until we got home. She said she wanted to darn them now. An older gentleman overheard the conversation and was surprised that I knew how to darn socks and that I had taught my children how to darn socks as well. Then he saw her take off the socks, put on the new socks, walk over to the trash can and with a lot of feeling say, "DARN IT! Those were my favorite socks!"

Yesterday, DD the youngest, had to darn her favorite pair of pants and as they went into the trash can, I heard, "DARN IT!!! Those were my favorite pants."

Thank you Stephanie for those wonderful moments with my children! I hope that they carry it on with their children also.

"Darn it."

No comments:

Post a Comment