22 July 2010

Back from Columbus, OH

Yesterday, I took my husband to work and then my girls and I went to Columbus for the day. We went to COSI - the Columbus Ohio Center of Science and Industry. The girls had so much fun. While I waited in line to get "tickets" that are worn on your person, the girls sat down and waited for the Rat Basketball to start. The trainer told how the rats are trained and then brought them out to play basketball. The girls really seemed to enjoy watching the rats play basketball.

My only complaint of the place was that when trying to gain information, the first volunteer that I spoke with was very rude and nasty individual. Why would you put someone like that anywhere near people. They need to remove him from his post and put in the back where he can't interact with anyone. I finally demanded to speak with someone else who was more polite. But I still did not get my question answered. But at least he was nicer.

We moved on to look into the room marked space. Now while the way in was not very fun, the room itself was very fun and informational. The girls got to work on balance and lift bowling balls that were set up to show how 10 lbs would feel on different planets. The room even had a "space shuttle" that they could tour.

From there we moved into the Ocean room. In this room the girls could experience a submarine and working underwater (like what they are trying to do in the Gulf) and close quarters rooms. What a difference that made.

Then we went up the stairs to another room where they have something called gadget cafe where the girls could learn how to take apart and put together gadgets, but this is an area where you have to place reservations. They were getting hungry so we just did other things in that area. They had the opportunity to see how much force is needed for different activities, what is needed to make a helicopter hover among just a few things. They really enjoyed that room.

We moved on to the Life room and then when we finished there we moved back down to the enterance where they had two tents set up to show differences in temperature. We then moved on to lunch. We ate at 5 Guys Burgers and Fries. They don't serve much beyond that, but the burgers are so good, that my oldest will eat them. It also fills up my middle girl so that I don't hear I'm hungry for at least 4 - 6 hours! That is an accomplishment because she is perpetually hungry. She is also growing faster than her older sister.

After lunch, we went to the Columbus Zoo. We looked in on some of the animal exhibits, but very few, if any of the animals were moving. We wanted to see the Polar Bear exhibit that just opened this year. The bears were moving and swimming for a little bit, but sleeping primarily. The new exhibit is really nice. Columbus Zoo did a great job with it, and I would love to go back when I don't feel like an ice cream cone in a hot oven. (I'm melting, melting).

Today, Thursday we will be hanging at home and enjoying the silence. Hope everyone has a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment