08 September 2015

Required Reading for Middle School and High School

I saw a list of books for Middle School and High School and it asked how many have you read? I have read quite a few, so I will make some notations, but I am saving this list for my girls to pick from, also. 

Middle School Required Reading


1. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie


2. Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbit - I read this on my own. It was never required for me to read. 


3. Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume - I read this on my own, again, never required reading. 


4. Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

5. The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank - Required reading for high school, not middle school. 


6. My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George


7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - I have a copy of this book, that I just got recently, I have not read it yet. 


8. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle - I read this with my daughters. 


9. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis - I read this on my own, I didn't have to read it for school. 


10. The Giver by Lois Lowry


11. Hatchet by Gary Paulsen


12. The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman


13. The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin


14. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls


15. My Brother Sam Is Dead by Christopher Collier and James Lincoln Collier



High School Required Reading


16. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe


17. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou


18. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - I had to read this for college. 


19. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury - I read this on my own as an adult, I never had to read it in school. 


20. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë - I had to read this for college. 


21. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë - I had to read this for college. 


22. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad - I had to read this for college. 


23. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald - someone else had to read this for high school and threw the book away on the last day (that is what a lot of the girls did), since I loved to read, I snagged a lot of books this way.  I read it over the summer. 


24. Lord of the Flies by William Golding - I had to read this for college. 


25. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne - I had to read this for college. 


26. The Iliad by Homer - I read this on my own. 


27. The Crucible by Arthur Miller - Another I read on my own. 


28. Animal Farm by George Orwell - my cousin a teacher at my high school told me not read this book voluntarily, she had not liked it. 


29. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger - I read this on my own and then for college. 


30. Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare - I read this in college. 


31. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley - I read this in college. 


32. Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe - I read this on my own. 


33. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain - I loved this book, I have read it many times and read it on my own in middle school. 


34. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut - I read this on my own. 


35. The Color Purple by Alice Walker - I read this for college. 

No comments:

Post a Comment