05 January 2011

I don't want my children to be happy.

I read this blog today (you can click on my title and it will take you to the post)and I have agree, I don't want my children to be happy. Content, yes. Holy, yes. Self-sufficient, yes. Good people, yes. Happiness doesn't come from someone giving you everything. Happiness comes from contentment. I know that I had to pay my own way through college. It was hard to pay for everything and sometimes, my parents would help me, when they could afford to, but it was my responsibility to pay my own way. My younger sister had to earn her own way through college and she appreciates her education, also. My younger brother had to pay his own way. My youngest sister, being so much younger than the rest of us, had hers paid for. She had earned some scholarships, but she didn't have to work her way through college, like I did. Putting off certain classes because I didn't have the money or the job wouldn't adjust so I could take it. It took me 7 years to get a BA in Literature and a BS in Archaeology. I want my children to work for their education and I encourage them to study now so they can get the good grades that will help them get the scholarships. I will help them pay for school where ever I can...they need to remember that they will all be in college together for 2 years! But they will be able to work and they will be able to get an education, but they will have to work for it.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get this post. I like it. Unfortunately, the way college is funded now, there is an expectation by the Feds that parents will pay the bill first. Additional financial resources are harder to locate. Working and taking classes is a good strategy when tuition remains constant and you can plan. It is time for new strategies.

    On the other side. I liked your post because it reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend. I told him that he was not responsible for making an adult relative happy when his own dreams are being deferred. I like your term, contentment. I am going to use it in our next conversation.

    ReplyDelete