14 January 2011

I am Voting Yes

I found out this week that there will be a new Levy put on the Spring Ballot. This is to keep 60-90 teachers on payroll for the Lebanon, OH school district. I am voting yes.

My reasons:
1. We have some of the best teachers around. They have Masters Degrees or are working on Masters Degrees.
2. They put a lot of themselves into teaching our children. Many of the teachers buy a lot of things with their own money for their classrooms for the children to use to help in their learning "centers."
3. The kindergarten class has 375 students, the 1st grade class has 425 students, the 2nd grade class has 400 (these are approximate numbers because there has been a lot of moving going on -into and out of the district). Each classroom has 25-30 students to one teacher. If they let go of 60-90 teachers that number WILL increase!
4. The teachers agreed to a pay freeze (they did not get a pay raise). They are paying more for their benefits (just like many other people). Teachers with a Masters Degree are making about $50,000 to $60,000 for a year of work (yes I know it is really 9 months of the year, but it is still for a year). They work more hours in a day than 8 hours....think of all the prep they do for their classes daily.

If they are willing to let go of 60-90 teachers, how many bus drivers are they letting go also? How many secretaries (at the kindergarten we have one secretary and she is phenomenal and the 1st and 2nd grade secretaries are also wonderful) are they going to cut loose? How many administrators?

The biggest threat to our school district is from a district that has people who are not willing to pay for their children's education! They refused to approve levies many times and now they are looking at the closing of their school! Their children are going to be shipped into neighboring school districts and I don't want to pay for their children! If they don't want to pay, why should I pay for their children! I am more than willing to pay for my children! I am willing to give up something so that I can have a quality education for my children! So I will vote yes on the next levy and I hope that others are willing to do so as well. These teachers are very important to our school.

So before voting, pray and consider what is best for the children in your school district. Also, be willing to fight for what you believe in. I believe in education, if I didn't, I wouldn't work so hard with my children at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment