19 September 2009

Nothing much happening

Okay, so the week has flown by. My oldest girl finally has homework and so every night has been an exercise in not killing anyone. My younger two girls who ignore me all afternoon, suddenly want my full attention. The reason: my oldest girl is getting my attention during homework time. We work on math and reading and writing and spelling. I have been working on finding out what books are what levels. Her teacher seems to think DD1 is a reading level D, but she is reading level J books at home on her own and with me. I think they are seriously underestimating her and her sisters. I have been searching the web for sites that will allow me to figure out the book levels and also give me names of books at the levels she wants DD1 to read.

Here are some of the sites:
Site for Book Levels This is my favorite site. It is also the easiest by far to use. You can enter the name of the book and it will give you the information they have available. Although, if you are trying to find out what level Slinky Malinki and Hairy Maclary are you are not in luck.

Book Levels This one is also okay, but it is interesting to note that it also doesn't rate Slinky Malinki or Hairy Maclary.

Scholastic Book Levels This one rates itself as for teachers, but since the teachers cannot be bothered to print a list of books from certain levels, to give ideas, it is another good resource.

Book List by Levels This one gives you lists according to titles or authors or you can request according to levels.

The teacher also wants us to work on DD1 counting by 2's, 5's and 10's. She wants her to practice addition and subtraction. DD1 likes to work on the computer and so I have been looking for free web sites, that are safe, fun and help learn math.

Cool Math for Kids This one was kind of interesting, but I haven't been able to explore the whole site yet.

Fun Brain This one I have heard about but again, I haven't had much time to explore it.

I think this is the one that is going to be best for beginning math. Math Playground
Math Patterning  This one is interesting. It has patterning. DD1 likes patterning.

This one is very colorful. Primary Games

PBS kids Cyberchase This is one of my all time favorites. The kids really struggled with it, but then it is for older children. Not for Kindergarten or 1st graders.

If you have any thoughts on some other sites that would be good for reading or writing or spelling or math, please share. I think this is important, because there is no way I can find them all myself with a limited time.

That is my other complaint. I feel that there is so much more I could have accomplished this week. But I spent a lot of time working on DD1 homework needs. I had to make copies of her homework pages, because the teacher would put a page for writing with a page for cutting back to back. Then I had to get post it notes (that is another story). Then I had to get some other things so we could accomplish her homework. I just get the youngest to school (a preschool program that is absolutely fabulous) and then I run around working on homework needs, then I have to run back and get DD3 and rush home to wait for DD2's bus to drop her off (she does not want me to pick her up from school or take her, she wants to ride the bus). (DD2 reading level is already at D, but then again it is another story). Then we work on lunch and other things, while waiting for DD1 to get home from school. Sometimes we even try to get out and play for awhile before my oldest comes home. Then we get her off the bus, I let her play for about 1/2 hour, get something to eat and/or drink, then we start working on homework, with breaks.

During this time, I have to have homework for the other two, because suddenly I am the most popular person around. They will fight to get my attention and then I get really irritated. They want so desperately to have my attention, so I give them something to work on. They are working on alphabet, letters, and numbers.

Because of this non-down time, I haven't been able to work on the things I really wanted to work on and I haven't been able to read any of the online blogs that I have been enjoying and follow. Hopefully, Monday, I will be able to get caught up.

Have a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment