22 June 2016

June and Flying Past

June came quickly. My 1st full week of June was booked! Taking kids to meetings, to events, to fun things and to volunteer opportunities. We also built a bed frame, my youngest and I, but the older girls are too big (they are tall and over the weight limit) for the bed frame. I promised that we would continue to search for something like their sister's bed, but that it would have to be able to be for them. It is interesting that my middle is only going to be 13 and she is already taller than I am! I am not short by any shape of the imagination, but she is closing in on her father. But there are tall genes in the family, so she won that lottery.

The girls love to volunteer and do things. They don't like to stay home. That means I spend a good deal of time driving them where they want or need to go. Mom's Taxi has new meaning to me. We live in an area that doesn't have public transportation. That means for kids to get places, they have to walk (if that were possible) or they have to catch a ride with someone (but they usually are going different directions of their friends) or hail Mom's Taxi.

They are still working on their reading programs. They are carrying around books all the time. They read even if the ride is only 1/2 an hour long. They ask to go to libraries to get more books. My house is full of library books and I don't have a problem with that!

Most of the hot days, the pool across the street was full to brimming with kids and parents and parents are ignoring the kids (running, jumping, too much for a small pool) and then we got some really nice cool days. Love those kind of days. The windows open and the wind blowing through the house.

It is also time for churches to have their festivals, kids to go to camp and just so many things that are happening over the summer months.

 Just a few of the books we borrowed one week.

Summer is a time to read. I love to read and so do my girls. We tend to walk out of libraries with lots of books. But I recently saw this list of 100 Must Read Books and I saved it. It is interesting to see what others think are books that should be read.

 My oldest asked if she could have an art wall. I didn't see a problem with that and my wonderful husband agreed. So we told her to start by outlining what she wanted to paint on the wall. Then we would start searching out the paints for her to paint the drawing with. This is her finished project. Time for the paint. (She is very talented.)


Afghan:
Isobel's Afghan
Summer in Swanage
Rainbow Sherbet Afghan
Tiles Granny Afghan
Deco Columns Throw
Long Live the Queen Throw
Drop in the Pond Laprobe - what is cool about baby afghans or laprobes, they can be made bigger or left small.

Animals:
Cat Bed
Crochet Cat Toy

Baby:
Two Tone Baby Mitts
Watermelon Sun Hat
Teddy Bear Lovey (or a security blanket)
Baby Hug Boots

Bags:
Cute Crochet Purse for Girls
Frozen Inspired Bag
Summer Beach Bag
SunDance Beach Bag
Wobbly Stripes Handbag
Wavy Messenger Bag
On the Go Knit Bag

Children:
Polar Bear Beanie (older babies)

Hats:
Valentine's Day Hat
Wickerwork Hat I am uncertain about the tassel/pompom at the top, but this is when the pattern is so gorgeous, you know you can change what you didn't like.

Just for Fun:
Crochet Mason Jar Cozy - makes jars look colorful and fun, while providing a place to store pens or pencils.
9 Petal Summer Flower Motif - can be used for decorating or for hair accessories.

Kitchen:
Best Crocheted Pot Holder - a friend of mine said this is the best potholder she has ever made and shared it with me.
Stars and Stripes Dishcloth Nice gift for American Holidays (4th of July, Memorial Day, Labor Day).

Market Bags: This has become a thing...everyone carries their own bags to the store (I only do that for Aldi, because I use the plastic bags for my husband to carry his lunch and for the collection of dog poo). I do like the bags and think they are good for carrying some things, but somethings are just too heavy (and I do pack bags heavy).
Mesh Knit Market Bag

Shawls:
Irish Crochet Shawl
Old Hollywood Shawl
Amazing Mitred Shawl
Easy Dreamy Shawl
Small Fans Shawl

Squares: Squares can be used to create many different things, but most people think of using them in afghans. I have seen them used for purses, pillows, clothing (skirts, sweaters, shawls).
Gothic Square
Framed Church Squares
Meadow Afghan Square
Rainbow Granny Square
Heart Granny Square
Water Lily Square
Block Stitch Square (with Tutorial)
Owl Square - suggested use, baby afghan
Double Wave Square

Toys:
Crochet Bunny - This is a really cute bunny toy.
Mini Octopus
Bee Geez fun toy for kids

No comments:

Post a Comment