30 December 2010

What Happened to Courtesy while Driving?

With the Christmas Holiday, I have been driving 50+ miles one way for family related things (delivering Christmas gifts, spending Christmas with family, spending time with my little niece in from Maryland). As I would drive, I would try to change lanes and have to drive faster to get over because the people in that lane were not willing to let me in their lane. I watched as a truck was forced to use a wrong exit because people in the lane he was in would not let him over.

I have been living in a country area for six years now and I really like not having to get on the interstate. I really like not having to fight my way through the traffic. I watch on the morning news as they tell about accidents that involve many vehicles (or just one that ran off the road).

Are we in such a hurry to get somewhere that we can't slow down (even just a little) and show some common courtesy to other drivers. Let them over into the lane we are in or even speeding up a little so they can slide in behind us (if they are sort of behind us to begin with). It won't shave any time off our commute if we have an accident and it helps us to be better drivers if we show each other just a little courtesy while we are driving.

I hope everyone is able to get to their destinations safely and have happy travels.

2 comments:

  1. You are correct. I am a slow driver. I figure once I am late it doesn't matter how late. And with the roads in Ohio in Winter. It is not worth the dangerous driving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in college I was in a really bad car accident, one of those that make the news. It wasn't my fault, I was just a casualty. I stopped for the paramedics and police (lights and sirens blaring), the guy behind me didn't and I went through that intersection with the ambulance. I don't know how we didn't collide. After that accident, I slowed down. It wasn't worth my life to get somewhere.

    ReplyDelete