14 October 2009

Furnace Wars

Sometime ago, I read Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's writings. I don't remember if it was from her blog or one of her books. She told about how her family engages in the battle to see who can hold off turning on their furnace to keep the house warm. I have always turned on my furnace once in October to make sure that it is operational, so that when it gets really cold, it is working. I then refuse to turn it on until it is 60 degrees F in the house, then it is set for 65 to 67 degrees F. Then our true battle begins, because I will try to keep it at 65 and my husband tries to get it up to 68 or 70. Her battle is to be the last in her family to turn their furnace on.

Today, I walked in from dropping my DD#3 at school and it was cold inside too! It was 62! I finally broke down and turned on the furnace. Now begins the battle at keeping it at 65. I really wanted to get to November before turning the furnace on. I like those bills that say $43 or $44 for a month of hot water. Now the bill will go up to $150 or so.

I hope that everyone else is able to keep cool.

I'll write about getting the girls outfitted in coats and boats (they are predicting snow on the weekend)!

No comments:

Post a Comment