04 October 2010

The Nicole Alexandra Hat

I was bound and determined to knit a hat for my neice and DD3. They are both about the same age (my neice is 6 weeks older than my daughter). So I am lucky that they wear the same sizes. So I called this hat the Nicole Alexandra Hat for the girls. This hat will fit a child with a head circumference of 21".

Nicole Alexandra Hat

Needle:
US 5 dpn and circular (16 in) - I started with circular and moved to the dpns on row 73.

Yarn:
Pink Sport Yarn 220 yds. You may or may not need all of it. Color is the favorite of the child.

Gauge:
4” = 24 sts
4” = 32 rows

Measurements:
Circumference of Head = 21”

Cast on 126
Join and place stitch marker
Row 1 - 70: K3, P3 (rib) continue to end of Row 70 (you can stop anywhere from 60 to 70 depending on the child).
Row 71: K1, K2tog, P1, P2tog to end of row (84 sts)
Row 72: Knit to end of row
Row 73: K2tog, P2tog to end of row (42 sts)
Row 74: Knit to end of row
Row 75: K2tog, repeat to end of row (21 sts)
Row 76: Knit to end of row
Row 77: K2tog until 6 stitches remain.
Close by cutting long end and then drawing through remaining stitches and weaving ends to finish.


Give this a try and let me know how they turn out. I like the ribs on this hat and they hold well to the child's head. My DD likes a shorter hat and my neice likes the longer hat. Have fun with this hat. Change colors, add stripes. Make this your own.

2 comments:

  1. Your pink hat looks like it would have great stretch to fit any head. great ribbed hat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My middle daughter (who measures in at 23 inches) says that it is too tight for her head. So I think for that you would need to c/o 138 for it to be comfortable for her head.

    ReplyDelete