01 September 2010

Mistake Rib Hat

I finally, finally finished my DD2's hat. I am calling the mistake rib, because instead of 3x3 ribbing (like it was at one point) I ended up with some k3, p3, k4,p2, k2, p4. It really is messed up. But considering that the first time I cast on this hat it was going along nicely until a cat got tangled in the yarn and the stitches came off. I wasn't able to rescue the stitches (I made this using alpaca yarn and it just wasn't easy to find the stitches to rescue).

The next time I cast on, I used a set of bamboo circs with a loose cable. I didn't realize how loose the cable was until DD2 wanting to try on her hat, put the unfinished hat to her head and stretched the cable pulling all the stitches off when the cable pulled out of the needle.

I cast on again. I had it to the crown shaping. I was so excited. I put it down where I thought it would be safe. Silly me. I had my cousin and her family and my nephew over for a Harry Potter night. We drank Sangrias. (Wow, I really liked those). We played cards, while the kids played and watched the movies. Unknown to me, my nephew (aged 21) and my cousin's son (age 4) got hold of the hat and tore stitches off! I cried. I rewound the ball and started again.

I cast on the hat for the 4th or 5th time (I lost count). I started it late one night and worked on it during church. Somehow, I made a mistake on the rib. The only thing I can say, is that at least I was consistent. Wherever I had 4x2 I stayed at 4x2, 3x3 stayed 3x3. It is not easy to see that I messed up.

I continued to work on the hat. I finally got it to the length that made my DD happy. I made the crown (I kept the hat in lock down). I cast off. She came home from school and I tried it on her. It is too loose.

I remember reading that Stephanie (aka Yarn Harlot) wrote there are just some things that aren't meant to be made with certain yarn. I should have listened better to this yarn. I know in my heart of hearts, she won't wear it to school. It is too loose and she doesn't like that.

Oh well. It is finished and I am tired of that yarn and that hat. I think I will finish a scarf, a clown and a penguin. I am on the other hand liking the hat I am making for my neice. It is turing out quite nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment