07 January 2010

White Death is Upon Us

My husband and several others I know, call snow the "White Death." This is because if you turn to any news agency in the area they are acting like everyone is going to die or be trapped in their homes for weeks on end. When we first moved up to this area, my husband was solely responsible for shoveling the driveway and the sidewalk. Start laughing now. The first substantial snow of December arrived just in time for Christmas. I had just had the baby less than 4 weeks before and so I wasn't allowed to go sled riding, I wasn't allowed to shovel snow, etc. He took the girls (the older two) out for their first sled ride and he was grouchy! He didn't want to do it. He didn't want to be bothered. I persisted. I threatened (fine I'll take them, then you can take me back to the hospital). He went. Then he had fun! I took photos. It was a great event for all involved. He had to shovel the substantial (over 16 inches) of snow. He didn't do it. He let it accumulate and when he finally got around to it, he had a lot of work to do. He only made a path. From the front door to the cars and a small path for the cars to go up and down.

The next snows, I went out and shoveled. I took great care. When it was substantial, I shoveled for an hour, took a break (letting more snow land), went out shoveled more, break, etc. So when the snow finally stopped, I had the whole driveway finished and the sidewalk also. One year, my neighbor (I miss you Cathy) and I worked together to keep our drives and walkways clear. We had fun. We took girls sled riding together.

This year, we had our first snow on Tuesday (my younger two had their school canceled by a two hour delay). So we went out with our shovels and shoveled our driveway and sidewalk.

Last night (Wednesday), the weathermen and women, kept predicting that the white death was coming. Schools closed, called two hour delays. At 5 a.m. this morning (Thursday) no snow. 9 a.m. came and the snow has started. Not even an inch has accumulated yet. But the schools were cancelling right and left. They did not want the responsibility of the children.

Today, we will shovel our walks and driveway and the girls will sled ride and my coffee maker will get a work out making hot drinks (coffee in morning, decaf tea in the afternoon and evening). The hot chocolate is already being made.

So stay safe and warm and know that the white death is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment